Deseret Public Bull Elk Hunt
2018 Deseret Bull Elk Hunting INformation
If you're a Utah resident, you can obtain a Deseret CWMU bull elk permit by applying through the public drawing. If you are a NON-RESIDENT you cannot apply for a CWMU permit through the public drawing. You can, however, purchase a permit directly from Wild Country Outfitters for the Deseret CWMU. To learn more about Utah's CWMU program click HERE.
- Meeting location: Meeting location: Lost Creek Reservoir in Croydon, UT (Click Here for directions to Lost Creek) or the Main Ranch in Woodruff (Click Here for directions to the Main Ranch)
- Hunt Dates: Choose week 1 or week 2 (You can’t come both weeks)
- Week 1: Monday, October 8th 10:00 AM through Saturday, October 13th at 12:00 PM
- Week 2: Monday, October 29th 10:00 AM through Saturday, November 3rd at 12:00 PM
- These are the only weeks available for the 2018 Deseret bull elk hunt
- Week 1 is the most physical of the hunt weeks. The bulls are located farther away from roads. Typical hiking per day is 3+ miles. If you can not hike that amount please consider hunting week 2. The hunt is just as good later if not better. The rut has come to an end in week 2 and the bulls can be found closer to main roads.
- Guided: Yes, 2 hunters per guide. NO COST
- If you would like to be guided one-on-one the cost is $1,200
- Trophy care: Packing and caping of your trophy.
- Meals/Lodging: Included for the hunter free of charge. Beds/bedding, towels, pillows, rest rooms, hot showers, and electricity. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner provided.
- Youth/female/70+/disability accommodations: If you are 21 years of age or younger, a female, 70 years of age and older, and/or have a disability (you have a physical or mental condition that makes you unable to hunt without major assistance of another individual), you are allowed to bring ONE guest.
- If you want to bring a guest but are NOT a youth, female, 70+, and/or disabled hunter you will have to pay a $1,200 fee. You will be guided 1x1 ( $1,100) plus your guest food ($100).
- Weapons allowed: Any legal weapon
- Tips: tips are not mandatory but are greatly appreciated by the guides and cooks. The tips range form $100-$1000 (split between your guide and cooks).
Our management plan on Deseret is to harvest old/mature bull elk. We consider elk to be mature at 7.5+. Our goal as an outfitter is to present the hunter with opportunities to harvest a mature bull. We are NOT going to field judge, score the elk, and/or state that a bull is big or small. Guides will find and locate mature elk and present opportunities. It will be the hunters choice if he/she wants to harvest the bull elk. The guide will not tell the hunter to shoot or not to shoot or that a bull is big or small; the guide will only state that it is a mature bull and its the hunters choice whether or not to shoot. If you have questions on this please ask by calling or emailing.
To ensure a quality hunting experience for all public hunters all scheduling and inquiring must be done through Wild Country Outfitters Management (contact information at the bottom of this letter). Individual Wild Country Outfitter guides are NOT permitted to schedule hunts or deviate from the information in this letter.
Hunters may shoot only one animal. Once an animal has been wounded, hit, or blood has been drawn, that is your animal and you will NOT be able to harvest or shoot at another animal.
Our goal is to provide you with a quality hunting experience. You will be provided with the same opportunity as our paying clients are given. Your job is to enjoy the experience and conduct yourselves in a manner so that all other guests have a quality experience as well.
To download a PDF file of the letter please CLICK HERE.